How to Find the Right Summer Camp for Your Child
With summer fast approaching it’s a good idea to start looking into some fun things for your children to do. Summer camp can be an exciting time for children as well as parents.
Most camps offer an assortment of summer camp activities that are targeted towards specific age groups and learning curves. But there are a lot of choices out there and it’s important to know which camp is best for your children.
Here are some things to consider when finding the right summer camp.
Day Camp vs. Sleepaway Camp
Day camps are great for the younger kids and provide parents with some free time but the ability to still see their child every day. There are many factors when considering which day camp to choose.
- Proximity to home: If you have to pick your child up every day, you’ll want to find a place that’s relatively close to home.
- Age: Knowing how old can a child be for daycare or summer camp is important. A toddler or preschooler will not likely be ready to stay overnight somewhere so a local summer day camp can be the perfect fit.
- Activities: Check out what activities the summer day camp provides and see if they align with your child’s interests. Most camps offer swimming lessons, which is the fourth most popular sports activity in the United States.
Overnight sleepaway camps are generally geared for somewhat older and more seasoned campers who want to experience a different assortment of exciting new camping activities. It’s important to know which camps would work best for your child’s needs.
- Make sure you’re comfortable: Most parents worry about their kids when attending overnight camps, but picking the right camp can help alleviate that worry.
- Start a conversation: Be sure to talk with some of the counselors and caretakers. It’s important to know who will be taking care of your child. Make sure these are the right people for the job.
- Talk with your child: While it’s important for children to gain experiences that will empower them, it’s also important to know their comfort level.
Summer Camp Cost
How much does summer camp cost? Most camps can offer packages and experiences that won’t break the bank, it’s just a matter of finding the right one for your budget. Day camps tend to offer more flexibility in terms of scheduling and pricing options to accommodate your budget and fit your vacation plans.
Plan out how much you can afford and begin looking within those parameters. There are many options out there that tailor to just about everyone’s needs.
Do Some Research
All of the things stated before have a similar feature: doing research. Whether that’s looking online at the website and reading reviews, or talking to other parents who’ve used the camp in the past, it’s important to know what the camp provides and how they interact with the children.
Choosing a summer camp is similar to selecting the right daycare. Some questions you may want to ask:
- Are the children classed by age?
- What is the youngest and oldest age group on site?
- Is there ample adult supervision for all activities?
- Is the camp accessible to me on a smartphone, iPhone, etc?
- Are there lunch options?
- Is there a discount for more than one child?
Pay a Visit
The best way to get the answers to these and many more questions about the safety and quality of a camp is to simply make the time to visit. During that visit carefully observe the tone of the school and the people who are in charge. If you sense that the children are happy and the staff and leadership are upbeat the odds are the camp experience will be excellent. If you do not get a sense of fun, caring and safety just…move on!
A great summer camp is a lifetime of wonderful memories for the children. Good luck and happy hunting for the right camp.
If you are looking for a top summer camp in Bergen County for your preschooler or grade school child, we invite you to take a look at the Lily Pond Summer Day Camp.